BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WBRC) - Sober October is similar to its better known “cousin”, Dry January. It provides an opportunity for people to stop drinking alcohol for a month.
Even a small amount of alcohol abstinence can provide positive health benefits. Laurie Dhue, Chief Brand Officer at Recovery Education and Applied Learning (REAL) says most people feel better emotionally and physically, they feel less depressed, anxious and irritable. They often lose weight, are better hydrated, have a better complexion, enjoy more restful sleep and experience a much higher level of overall energy.
Dhue provides two zero-proof drink recipes that are perfect for Halloween and Thanksgiving festivities and other holidays.
Zero Proof Caramel Apple
- 1/4 cup warmed caramel
- 7 oz chilled apple cider
- 7 oz chilled ginger beer
- Warm the caramel in a pan while you stir together the apple cider and ginger beer.
- Pour the caramel into the drink mixture, add ice and shake.
- Garnish with a cinnamon stick.
Zero Proof Pumpkin Spice
- 7 oz cold ginger ale or ginger beer
- 4 Tablespoons heated pumpkin purée
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- (3 oz of cold apple cider is optional)
- Heat the pumpkin purée.
- Mix the ginger beer with the apple cider, add the vanilla, and shake.
- Add the pumpkin purée.
- Shake with ice and serve.
Copyright 2023 WBRC. All rights reserved.